In January 1927 the City of London selected a site for an airfield at Lambeth, Ontario. The London Flying Club was formed in 1928 and became a tenant of the new airport. By 1933 it had become too small for some commercial aircraft.
In 1935 the city decided to replace the original London Airport. The city leased the new airport to the Government of Canada, Department of Transport on 24 January 1940 for the duration of the war.
After World War II RCAF reserve or auxiliary squadrons were given the task of defending Canada's major cities. In 1955, runway 14-32 was lengthened to 6,000 feet to accommodate the Vickers Viscount. In 1968, Air Canada began DC-9 jet service and runway 14-32 was lengthened to 8,800 feet to accommodate DC-8, Boeing 707 and 747, and L-1011 aircraft in 1974.
During 1998, control of the airport was transferred from Transport Canada to the Greater London International Airport Authority. In 2003, the main terminal building was completely renovated and expanded. In 2019, taxiway G is completely rebuilt.
RWY 15: 109.50
YXU (LONDON): 117.20
WT (WATERLOO): 115.00
ECK (PECK): 114.00
ERI (ERIE): 109.40